Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A bit slow off the mark

Here are some belated pics from our weekend away in Bundaleer Forest.
We took a friend of Eilish's with us (Amy) and also loaded 5 bikes on to the top of our camper trailer. As you can see from the first pic we are quite well stacked. Bundaleer Forest is about 230km north of Adelaide.
Just before we reached the forest entrance (and end of cell phone range) a text came through from one of our fellow campers advising that there was a good chance of a complete fire ban for Saturday due to high winds and temperatures over 35 degrees. I do wonder if we can actually go camping without something untoward happening, but then where would the fun be in that.
It is decided that we will all carry on and improvise over the cooking situation once we got there. The large logs in front of our camping site surround a large campfire area (now out of bounds). We are the first ones to arrive thus getting to pick the best camp site, yay for us. It is heating up now and the flies are coming out in droves, time to don the fly hats. If you look at the pic of the kids sitting around the table you can see some of them in hats and others protecting their food and drinks with plates etc.
On Saturday morning I was cooking pancakes for 4 families on my gas stove as were had the only one when the park ranger came by and said that the fireban had definitely been issued and we were to pack up the stove as soon as brekky was finished. Bugger. How to cook a bbq dinner for 4 families was now becoming interesting.
The ranger said that if we took ourselves up to the stone hut we could cook in there on our gas stove only, no fires. As you can see by pic 5 we were creative in our cooking efforts, bacon and eggs for Sunday brekky.
Before I forget, we saw our first wild brown snake on Saturday afternoon. It was meandering its way through the middle of our camp ground and was under the dining tables when we spotted it. Gary and I leapt up, Gary to get a big stick and me to get my camera. Unfortunately Gary had managed to herd it out of the campground before I had my camera ready and I wasn't to keen to go looking for it. We all wore shoes for the rest of the weekend, lol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys - you look as though you had a great trip. Pitty about the flies and snake. I am sure that hero Connor and heroin Eilish would have dealt expertly with your brown visitor if their Dad had not interfered after all they had ther bikes on which they could have made a fast retreat!
Good to see you both looking so well and enjoying the company of friends.
Tell your Dad that I still need a bowman.
Love from GD.